Saturday, April 5, 2014

It's baby season on Laikipia

The long rains are just beginning here on Laikipia Plateau and babies seem to have arrived with them!

Before I left the US I visited a 2nd grade class at Mitchell elementary school in Ann Arbor and many students asked if I could send pictures from Kenya of baby giraffes and baby zebras. Until now I have only spotted juveniles, but now there are teensy babies everywhere!

Here are a few of my sightings:

The adults in this herd of Cape Buffalo circled quickly around their young when they spotted me.

We have seen plenty of cute baby Iimpala too. 

This is tiniest giraffe I've ever seen! 

But don't worry, mam wasn't far away.

Here you can see how small the baby is next to mama.

Although these are not newborns, we have had many elephant herds in the area with young.

Even at this stage they are HUGE! 

And here is a little Plains Zebra.

When they are this young their stripes appear brown instead of black.



And let's not forget about baboons! Although they do not reproduce seasonally, here's our newest little guy: Xtreme! 

No comments:

Post a Comment